Friday, July 16, 2010

ABOUT FACE: stepping in the wrong direction


Today, i had a friend of mine that texted me stating: "have you heard this song saying, White girls are freakier that black women and that it was just depicting us like a sex toy?" I had to admit i had heard of it and have done nothing about it. I have tendency to sit back, as do the rest of my generation, and just say, "it is just music." Really is it just music, really or is it a social control or choke hold on our upcoming generation. I remember my mother always saying do not listen to that junk, they just putting women down; being young i felt as if my mother was disconnected to what my generation was really talking about at the time. The times they are a changing and i have had enough of the progressive TOM FOOLERY that is coming to be deemed as music. This pathetic attempt to make money by literally degrading, stereotyping, creating generalizations and plain crude lyrics is just sad. I watched a documentary on "Why we laugh in America: Black comedians and their sociological effect on society," it was very enlighten to help me look deeper at this festering sore that we are dealing with in society today. The Documentary basically stated all of the talented female and male comedians of African descent and how they influenced America at a time of Racial Divide. I mention this to say many of them would not sell out to saturate their society with hatred that the media Exec's wanted them to do. Case and point is Dave Chappelle, he would not allow himself to take 50 million dollars to continue on or change his comedy to influence young or impressionable minds. I commend him for such a noble act to preserve our heritage and create a more accountability for our actions as individuals in society. My god son and his friends just talk about girls as if they are just this sex toys that you can just grab when ready and if you dress a certain way then you should have them at your beckon call. The music and media of today sends the message to our generation that is okay to view women or even men as these inanimate objects; have we taken an ABOUT FACE, our we stepping in the wrong direction.

I want those who are educating our youth to, including myself cause i was guilty of it, discourage the listening or reading of such bitter diatribe. The educating must be all inclusive and not exclusive, we must steer away from our own personal interesting in order to protect all who are effected by these lyrics including preference of sexuality, race, religion and so forth. We can not limit no one person/persons rights for we infringe upon all of our own rights.
Next we must stop listening to the no sense our selves. I see grown women listening to a song say "they can look back at you, shove it down their throats," we must be the change in the world that we want to see (Ghandi). I vowing today to be more positive and more selective in the music i listen to. If we all take a stand against our artist and let them know it is not okay to sell out your family, your listeners because it is what the EXEC's say that is what is selling. I want Lil Wayne and T.I. to rethinking suggesting it is okay to Kill another human being because of the threats or statements they make or to detail how they perform cunnilingus ; if we as a society began to take back our morals then they have no choice but to honor our demands and conform, otherwise we will fail our daughters and sons of the future.

1 comment:

  1. I agree...kids are influenced by these artists and they should realize that their lyrics affect millions of livse

    ReplyDelete